Frequently Asked Questions
Start on a day that you are going to be home. Men's Liberty has a "learning curve", and you may go through 3 applications the first day. Before getting started, make sure that you wash the groin area with a non-moisturizing bar of soap. We recommend Ivory or Gold Bar Dial bar soap. Do not use liquid soaps. We recommend you watch the application video at https://mensliberty.com/our-solution/how-to-use/ before your first application.
A short wear time for the first application is normal. It generally takes 2 to 3 applications the first day to build up to a 24-hour wear time. As soon as the first one comes loose, apply a new one immediately. Do not switch to a diaper or pad otherwise, you will not be able to build up the wear time. Moisture trapped in the skin by condom catheters, diapers, and pads interferes with Men's Liberty's seal and limits wear times of initial applications.
The Men's Liberty urine collection pouch needs to lay flat against the inside of one leg and placed below the anatomy to ensure proper flow of urine away from the body. Do not tuck the bag inside underwear as this may cause the bag to fold or kink blocking urine flow.
Make sure Men's Liberty is worn under loose-fitting boxers or shorts. Do not use restrictive or absorbent underwear with Men's Liberty.
You may use a small amount of Vaseline or some other kind of lubricant on top of the adhesive to help ease it back to the natural resting position.
Always wash the anatomy with non-moisturizing soap such as Ivory or Gold Bar Dial. Do not use liquid soaps as they contain moisturizers and will reduce adhesion or keep Men's Liberty from sealing to your skin. Apply Men's Liberty to clean, dry skin. Men's Liberty will not seal to your skin if it is damp. Allow the BioPlus+ Barrier wipe to completely dry before applying Men's Liberty. BioPlus+ feels sticky on the skin when it is wet. You will know the BioPlus+ has dried completely when it is no longer sticky. Do not use other incontinence products at the same time with Men's Liberty, such as absorbent products like diapers and pads. These trap in moisture which will interfere with Men's Liberty's seal, shortening your wear time.
- Glans of the penis is not completely clean and free of oils/wax/soap residue.
- Use of a soap that contains moisturizers/lotions.
- Glans not completely dry after washing or applying the BioPlus+ Barrier wipe.
- Change in caregivers who may not be trained in the proper application.
- The buildup of hydrocolloid adhesive residue–This can be removed with FreeDerm or another adhesive remover.
- Using other incontinence products—Men's Liberty is designed to be used continually and using diapers or pads will shorten wear time by introducing excess skin moisture.
- Change in health such as reduced dexterity, skin irritations, new medications, etc.
- Bag filling with urine not being emptied frequently–You may need a leg bag for extra capacity.
The Men's Liberty uses a gentle and moveable adhesive called hydrocolloid. If not removed properly with FreeDerm, adhesive remover, or warm soapy water, small amounts of the adhesive can create a build-up layer on the skin even if you can't see it.
Periodically, you can soak the tip of the anatomy with FreeDerm and wrap a warm wet washcloth around the head to break up and hydrocolloid adhesive build-up.
Long-time users should try this method to break up adhesive build-up if they are having a reduction of wear time or leaking at the adhesive.
- Try to remove any hydrocolloid adhesive build-up (mentioned above).
- You may want to try applying Men's Liberty in the early morning because your body may hold less moisture.
- Make sure to allow the BioPlus+ wipe to dry completely.
- You can try laying down when applying or utilizing the KindKlamp, penile clamp, to reduce or temporarily stop the amount of urine that leaks when applying Men's Liberty.
- Check that the faceplate (petals) is aligned properly with the urinary opening of the penis. You may need to use the KindKlamp, penile clamp, to temporarily stop the flow of urine during application.
- Check that the faceplate seal is applied correctly by first applying at the grove at the underside of the penis prior to wrapping around the tip. Apply the faceplate seal so that it overlaps the faceplate "petals" and a little bit of the plastic tube housing. Make sure you are allowing the adhesive to naturally wrap around the head of the penis, so it is flat and wrinkle-free without stretching the adhesive. If the faceplate strip does not wrap all the way around, you may need an additional faceplate strip to keep the product on and make a complete seal.
- Ensure that the Men's Liberty is positioned below the anatomy to allow for the flow of urine away from the body and with gravity. Ensure that a leg or bedside urine collection bag is positioned below the bladder.
Some men may experience a slight stinging when using the BioPlus, however, this sensation generally goes away once it dries. If the stinging sensation continues, stop the use of the BioPlus+, wait to heal before using again, and you can call the Men's Liberty Nurse Support Line for further help. 1-888-920-9363 (M – F, 9am – 5pm EST).
Try the allergy test mentioned above with and without BioPlus+. Men's Liberty can be used without the BioPlus+.
You may have applied the adhesive faceplate seal too tightly during the application or are experiencing a vacuum effect when draining. Do not stretch or pull the adhesive tight around the head of the penis. You can also try to separate the layers of the urine collection bag(s) to allow some air into the bag and reduce suction. Do not block the Men's Liberty's micro vent with restrictive underwear or diapers. When connecting to another urine collection bag, it is recommended to use a vented bag.
Make sure the Men's Liberty is positioned lower than the anatomy to allow the proper flow of urine with gravity.
Do not pull or tug on the adhesive when removing. Allow warm water or FreeDerm to loosen the adhesive so it can be gently rolled off the skin.
The first step in making sure you get 24 hours or more of wear time is to always wash the anatomy with a non-moisturizing bar soap such as lvory or Gold Bar Dial. Do not use liquid soaps as they contain moisturizers, which will reduce adhesion and keep Men's Liberty from sealing to your skin. Next, apply Men's Liberty to clean, dry skin. Men's Liberty will not seal to your skin if it is damp. Lastly, allow the BioPlus+ prep wipe to dry completely before applying Men's Liberty. BioPlus+ feels sticky on the skin when it is wet. You will know the BioPlus+ has dried completely when it is no longer sticky. A short wear time for the first application is normal. It generally takes 2-3 applications the first day to build the wear time up to the 24 hours. As soon as the first one fails, it is extremely important to put a new one on immediately. Do not go back and forth between a diaper/pad and the Men's Liberty otherwise you will not be able to build up the wear time.
- Glans of the penis not completely clean and free of oils/wax/soap residue
- Use of a soap that contains moisturizers/lotions
- Glans not completely dry after washing
- Glans not completely dry after application of the BioPlus+ Skin Barrier Wipe
- Change in caregivers who may not be trained in proper application
- Build up of hydrocolloid residue. This can be removed with FreeDerm or other Adhesive Remover products
- Switching Products - Men’s Liberty is designed to be used continually, any breaks in usage (use of condom caths/diapers) will shorten wear time, by re-introducing excess skin moisture
- Change in health- such as reduced dexterity, skin irritation, new medications
What time do you apply Men’s Liberty?
You may want to try applying Men’s Liberty in the early morning because your body may hold less moisture.
How many times have you used Men’s Liberty in a row without using another product?
We do not recommend jumping back and forth between products. It generally takes 2 to 3 applications to bring the skin back to its original state.
Repeated applications allows the hydrocolloid adhesive in Men’s Liberty to bond to the skin and give you the 24 hour wear time that you are looking to achieve. When you stop using Men’s Liberty and go to another product such as diapers or diaper pads your skin becomes saturated and the skin repair process starts over. The skin has to be brought back to it’s original state in order for the adhesive to bond properly.
Are you leaking urine?
In order for the product to stick, the skin has to be clean and dry when applying Men’s Liberty. Lying down may reduce the amount of urine that leaks
out when applying. We recommend using a KindKlamp to temporarily stop the flow of urine.
There is a sealing issue in the frenulum area.
lf leaking from the underside.
Apply pressure and hold the faceplate seal to the grove at the underside of the penis prior to wrapping around the tip of the penis.
lf leaking from the top.
When applying the faceplate seal, make sure that you use a tight seal 360 degrees around the tip. ln addition, you can wrap a colored tissue around the tip of the penis and periodically check the tissue this will indicate the exact spot the leak is coming from.
You may not have allowed the BioPlus to dry completely. Attaching the faceplate when the BioPlus hasn’t dried will often cause Men’s Liberty to leak or come off within a few hours of the application. Also, check to make sure that the faceplate strip is wrapped around the top of the plastic tube and over the petals. If the strip does not wrap all the way around you may need an additional faceplate strip to keep the product on.
You may be leaking during the application. The slightest droplet of urine that passes through during the application will cause the product to fail. If you have constant leaking, you will need to use a penile clamp or our KindKlamp during the application process.
Recommended wear time is 24-48 hours. One Men’s Liberty is designed to be worn for up to 24 hours. You can wear Men’s Liberty all day and all night. Many Men’s Liberty users suggest changing Men’s Liberty first thing in the morning, or after they take a shower.
Men’s Liberty can be removed using FreeDerm adhesive remover. A bottle comes with each order of your supplies. FreeDerm comes in a spray bottle and releases Men’s Liberty immediately. FreeDerm is extremely skin friendly and leaves no residue. Once applied to the skin, FreeDerm flash dries and doesn’t require washing. You can immediately apply your next Men’s Liberty unit. While FreeDerm is recommended to remove Men’s Liberty, if you do not have FreeDerm, you can remove Men’s Liberty by soaking in warm water. Be sure to never pull or tear Men’s Liberty off the skin. If Men’s Liberty is still sealed to the skin in some spots, soak for a little while longer. It can take up to 15 minutes to release the seal with water, so patience is important here!
The Men’s Liberty bag holds 8oz of fluid. How frequently you will need to empty the bag will vary by individual. We recommend that the bag be emptied when it is about 2/3 full. You do not want to overfill the bag or it will back up and cause it to leak. For men who need additional urine storage, the small pouch can be connected to any standard leg or bedside urine bag.
If you have an allergy or sensitivity to tape, we would recommend doing a skin test before using Men’s Liberty. Simply cut a small piece of hydrocolloid (the adhesive) off a faceplate seal and place it on the inside of your forearm just below the elbow. If after about 3-4 hours there is no sign of irritation, you should be fine to use the product.
Uncircumcised men may use Men’s Liberty as long as they can retract the foreskin to expose the head of the penis. We suggest using a KindKlamp or penile clamp to hold the foreskin back during the application. If you cannot retract the foreskin, we do not recommend attaching Men’s Liberty overtop the foreskin without consulting your physician.
If there are no other symptoms involved such as pain, itching, or burning, chances are when you were attaching Men’s Liberty, you may have pressed or pushed too hard. If you apply too much pressure during application, increased suction may cause the tip of the penis to get irritated when pulled inside the plastic tube.
Yes! Men’s Liberty is designed to be worn comfortably under normal clothing, including long shorts.
Still Have Questions?
Schedule time with our nurses to walk through how to apply the product.